Re: [OM] moose

Subject: Re: [OM] moose
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 23:35:59 -0700
on 5/23/02 5:08 PM, Wayne Culberson at waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I was out for a short drive in the woods again this evening, and saw two
> more moose, which were a little more cooperative than the ones I saw
> yesterday. They did stay around until I got a couple pictures. However, I
> was still limited to my longest lense right now, which is a 135/2.8, and
> still couldn't get close enough to fill the frame more than about 1/3 with
> the moose. Does anyone else here pursue photography of wild animals?
> Does anyone have any experience hand holding a 300mm lens?  I'm wondering if
> it is possible to get good sharp pictures with hand holding that length. A
> tripod or even a monopod is really not practical most of the time as they
> just aren't inclined to pose for long periods of time. They seem to be just
> slightly more patient than my kids were, which is about 3 or 4 seconds.
> Wayne

Filling 1/3 of the frame with a 135 lens, you got close enough to the moose,
unless you were in your car and maybe even then... A 300 is hand-holdable,
but with the f4.5 aperture and a suggested minimum shutter speed of 1/250 if
you're feeling steady I think you need fast film also... evening likely
isn't going to give you much light.

A 200/2.8 would be a good compromise, quite a bit more light and less
magnification to shake you up. A 300 on a bright sunny day at 1/1000 or
1/2000 will probably be OK hand-held, but slower than 1/500 you will be
fighting for sharpness. What about a beanbag (thrown over the car windows
glass edge) to help steady the shot?
--

Jim Brokaw