Re: [OM] Beattie interscreen and OM-2

Subject: Re: [OM] Beattie interscreen and OM-2
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 14:55:32 -0700
This is only a problem in the viewfinder and in manual mode. The Om-2(n) has 2 separate metering curcuits. The one you see in the viewfinder and use for manual mode reads the brightness of the image on the focusing screen and will indicate an exposure that is at least 1 stop too low. In Auto mode, the OM-2 will still expose correctly using the OTF metering curcuit which reads light reflected from the first shutter curtain and the film and is unaffected by the focusing screen. Since the Auto OTF mode is aperture preferred, this means the actual shutter speed will be one setting slower than indicated in the viewfinder. i.e., if the viewfinder indicates 1/500, the actual exposure will be more like 1/250

If the camera came with the Beattie screen, it was presumeably was used with this screen by the previous owner(s) and it is possible that the meter has already been adjusted to read correctly with the Beattie screen. It is possible to compare the viewfinder reading of a blank, evenly illuminated wall with hte reading of a meter know to be accurate. However, as this is an old camera, although new to you, you should test out both exposure systems. Slide film is best for exposure system testing both because it is omre sensitive to correct exposure and because the automated printing of negative film will mask the differences. Take some series of test pictures on a test roll. For each series::
1. Using Auto mode
2. Using manual mode at the same aperture and at the shutter speed shown in the viewfinder on auto mode. 3. Using manual mode and one shutter speed slower than the viewfiner meter recommends. 4. Since you are trying out a new camera, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bracket both another stop below and one stop above the viewfinder recommendation.

Try this on at least a couple of differently lit scenes and keep careful notes. The resultant slides will tell you everything you need to know about the accuracy of both exposure systems and whether they agree with each other.

Moose

tom wagner wrote:

The Beattie Intenscreen will cause an under-exposure of 1 stop... so yes the meter would have to be re-calibrated

 Danny Hecht <dannyhecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi I am new to this mailing list and I have a question:I got OM-2 that have a non original focusing screen , It
is the beattie interscreen , It is giving a nice view
in the finder but do one need to compansate his
exposure when using this screen or should I count on
what the meter give me ?