Re: [OM] Customs Documents

Subject: Re: [OM] Customs Documents
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 22:09:09 +0200
Hello Andy.

I often face the same kind of charges when importing from the USA to
Holland.

Customs charge VAT/duties over the total amount of value AND shipping
cost - maybe that is what is causing the difference. GBP 13 for
handling by the courier seems not to be out of line with what I face
here: roughly EUR 20 per shipment.

Good luck, anyway - and do as I do: try to buy as much as possible
duty-free, within Europe that is!

And what often will help when buying from the USA is: ask the seller
to mark the shipment as 'used camera equipment for collectible
purposes only' and also ask him to tick the gift-box, rather than the
merchandise one, on the customs form....

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.