Re: [OM] TOPE 9

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE 9
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:59:28 -0700 (PDT)
> The one photo that tugs at my heart is Ken Norton's.  I can
> hear the wind
> sighing through the long broken windows, the smell of the old
> and now
> rotting wood and the shadow of times past.

Thank you.  I appreciate the positive comment.  It has been a
project of mine to photograph old farmsteads for about five
years now.  It always is an experience to roam around (rarely
inside!) these old homes and barns.  If you sit down and wait
for a few minutes the wood seems to speak to you.  Only then can
you understand how to properly photograph the structure.

Each old building has a history.  Imagine the families that
lived there.  Clues crop up everywhere:  Remnants of an old rope
swing from a mammoth tree limb, the etchings of initials in
concrete, faded and peeling wallpaper, and maybe an old toy
emerging from the soil.  No two are ever the same, some were
fancy--telling of wealth and apparent success--only to be
abandoned fifty years later with no one interested in moving in.

First the rodents take over, then the birds and bats.
Eventually, the roof no longer keeps the water out and the
structure starts to deteriorate and callapse.  This house in the
photograph will have 5-10 years left before it is no longer
upright.  Eventually, a front-end loader moves the remaining
wood into a pile and a few gallons of lit diesel or gasoline
will make short work of the rest of lifetimes of memories.  All
that remains is a stone bearing the names of the residents in a
cemetary a couple of miles away.

Our lives here on Earth are like a puff of smoke.  We exist for
such a short time and our presence fades away.  Eventually, the
memories fade away too.  My attempt is to capture, on film, the
imagined memories.

Ken