[OM] (ot) Mamiya Press Super 23

Subject: [OM] (ot) Mamiya Press Super 23
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:54:54 +1200
Hi Mark 'et al',

I've got two of these cameras (one super and one Universal and some
lenses.)

I'm glad for your sake the light seals have been re-done - but its not a big
job.
If I can do it (and I have) anybody can. The camera does look at least as
though it has been cleaned.

The OM4Ti  does make a good light meter, but I prefer a Weston.

That's the early back you have there and it's only 6x7. You need 6x9 to
approximate to 35mm format. Still OK though.

You are faced with an interesting learning curve. Don't expect to get
excellent or even good shots right from the beginning. You will soon find you
need to develop a set order of doing things to avoid making the sort of stuff-
up (such as double exposure) that ruins existing exposures..

The lenses are generally quite sharp, and it is a surprise for the first few
times when you notice the lack of vibration in a camera with an in-lens
shutter and no mirror.

The large negative does make a difference.

You may quite well find that you spend more time per shot deciding what
you actually will photograph and how. This can also bring benefits to your
Zuiko shooting.

Koni-Omegas are also very good MF cameras of the same general style and
quality, but they have an interlocking system to help avoid the kind of
mistake that is so easy to make with the Mamiya Press cameras.

Best wishes with it. Brian