Re: [OM] Olympus OM-10

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus OM-10
From: Pawel Golik <pgolik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 16:34:27 -0400
On Tuesday 14 May 2002 03:34 pm, William Sommerwerck wrote:

> I strongly advise your daughter to perform the following three steps:
>
> 1. Find a trash can.
>
> 2. Position the camera over the can.
>
> 3. Release the camera.
>
> The OM-10 is not junk, by any means. But a camera body that leaks light
> almost certainly has something considerably worse wrong with it than just
> deteriorated seals. This is unlikely to be a cheap repair.

And I strongly advise to disregard William's advice. I've seen many Olympus
bodies (including OM-10s) that leaked light due to foam deterioration. Any
camera repairman can fix that cheaply, in fact a reasonably skilled hobbyist
armed with an old mousepad and glue can achieve the same results. You can
also buy foam kits from www.zuiko.com and do the replacement yourself. And
while OM-10 is low-end model of the OM line it's still a good general
photography tool, light and nice to use. A manual adapter is a good idea,
they are not hard to find.
        Pawel

--
Pawel Golik