Re: [OM] Without a lens cap

Subject: Re: [OM] Without a lens cap
From: Brian Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:10:09 +0100

Pete Prunskunas wrote:

> I had a discussion with an ebay seller.  He told me that he never
> used a lens cap on the lens, but simply put the lens back into an
> Olympus hard case.  The lens was a 135mm f2.8 and the case
> was for a 135mm f3.5.  I suspect the lens would not have fit into
> the case with the lens cap, as the f2.8 version is a little longer
> than the f3.5 version.  Am I being paranoid or does this sound
> like a practice that might lead to a scratched rear element from
> dust or dirt embedded in the bottom of the case?

        Are you talking about a front lens cap or a rear cap, Pete?
I assume that all rear caps are the same size as they cover parts which fit the camera body. I have got both the 135/2.8 and 135/3.5 but only the latter lives in an Olympus hard case (marked 135mm/F3.5). Having tried the experiment, I would have said that the 2.8 will not go comfortably into the hard case for the 3.5. The f3.5 will actually go into the case either way up since the 49mm filter size of the lens nose means it will fit into the reduced diameter section at the bottom of the case. The 55mm nose of the 2.8 will not fit that way up. If I put the 2.8 in the hard case with the rear cap at the bottom (having removed the protective filter from the lens and a piece of grey foam from the lid of the hard case) the case will just shut, BUT it is difficult to open as the lens cap detaches at one side and seems to jam the lid. Not a practicable proposition in my view. I would suspect, and others appear to confirm, that either lens would fit into a hard case intended for a 2.8.

Brian Gray