Re: [OM] Asahi Opt. Co., Japan

Subject: Re: [OM] Asahi Opt. Co., Japan
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:14:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 13 May 2002 10:04, "Pete Prunskunas" <pyotr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Via email I was told of a lens that had the following on the front
>ring: Asahi Opt. Co., Japan.  What is this, another vendor, or did
>Olympus stamp this on certain lenses?

Asahi is one of the very early optical/camera companies in Japan.
They pioneered the very first Through-The-Lens (TTL) metering
systems in their SLRs in the form of the Pentax cameras.  I don't
think they have ever produced lenses for the Olympus OM mount.

So if you come across an Asahi lens, chances are it is for the
Pentax mount (probably for the universal thread mount, as the
newer K-mount lenses are marked as Pentex and not Asahi).  But
since Olympus also produced an SLR that used the universal thread
mount, maybe the Asahi lenses will fit that Olympus camera.  But
it is not compatible with the Olympus OM mount.  I am sure others
will add to the information.