[OM] taxes, totally OT

Subject: [OM] taxes, totally OT
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 09:04:36 -0500
We all have our hot-button topics, don't we...

I don't have any particular opinion about the EU internet tax issue, but I
must respond to the Florida legislator.

Why, exactly, is tax-free internet sales a fiscally sound policy? It puts
the established local merchant at a disadvantage. It puts the person wanting
to start a bricks-and-morter business at a disadvantage. It forces
governments to raise taxes elsewhere to fund programs that would be funded
by the evaded sales taxes.

Now, I don't like paying tax anymore than anyone else, but why the internet
should get this protected status I can't understand. Perhaps it's the
general wild west nature of the beast?

Now I promise to not revisit this subject.

Bill Pearce