[OM] [OT]Irony - was Caution etc...

Subject: [OM] [OT]Irony - was Caution etc...
From: "Andy Gilbert" <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 23:17:30 +0100
Charles Sdunek wrote:

> Hey, its ok, I was just kidding.  But seriously, how can you guys take
> us seriously when we have people sueing mcdonalds because they spilt
> thier coffee in their laps and it happened to be hot?  heheh  Not to
> mention the burgler who fell through the skylight window of the house he
> was robbing and won a lawsuit against the homeowners....  Lot's of
> rediculous people and things here.

Here's one was sent to me, can this really be true???  I can almost believe
the above could happen over here in the UK now, but read on.............

Subject: Fw: There is Justice in the World

 Here's a heartwarming lawyer story:

      A Charlotte, NC lawyer purchased a box of very
rare and expensive
cigars, then insured them against fire (among other
 things) Within a
month, having smoked his entire stockpile of these
great cigars, and not
 yet having made even his first premium payment on
the policy, the lawyer
 filed a claim against the insurance company. In his
claim, the lawyer
 stated the cigars were lost "in a series of small
 fires."
      The insurance company refused to pay, citing
the obvious reason:
 the man had consumed the cigars in the normal
 fashion. The lawyer sued....and won!
     In delivering the ruling, the judge agreed with
the insurance
company that the claim was frivolous, however, the
judge stated that the
 lawyer held a policy from the company in which ithad warranted that the
 cigars were insurable, and had guaranteed that it
would indeed insure
them against fire, without defining what is
 considered "unacceptable
 fire"- and was obligated to pay the claim.
      Rather than endure a lengthy and costly appeal
 process, the
 insurance company accepted the ruling and paid
 $15,000.00 to the lawyer
 for his incendiary bamboozle.

 NOW FOR THE GOOD PART.............

After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance
company had him
 arrested on 24 counts of ARSON!!!!! with HIS OWN
 INSURANCE CLAIM AND
TESTIMONY FROM THE PREVIOUS CASE BEING USED AGAINST
HIM, THE LAWYER WAS
 CONVICTED OF INTENTIONALLY BURNING HIS INSURED
 PROPERTY AND SENTENCED
HIM TO 24 MONTHS IN JAIL AND A $24,000.00 FINE.

 This is a true story and was the 1st place winner in
the recent Criminal Lawyers Award Contest

Perhaps I could sue you guys in the USA for passing on this dreadful disease
(Zuikoholism) I was a simple 1 body & 3 primes sort of chap before I came
across you people :)

Andy Gilbert
Exeter
Devon