Re: [OM] Fuji vs. Kodak

Subject: Re: [OM] Fuji vs. Kodak
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 12:51:43 -0400
Mike asks:

>Specifically, I'm wondering about 120 films. Of the available
>Kodak and Fuji emulsions, what would y'all recommend for portrait
>work?

Fuji NPS.

>For landscapes?

For 120, Fuji Provia 100F, most of the time, Velvia when things
need to be "kicked up a notch."  (Apologies to Emeril.)  For 35mm,
it's hard to beat Kodachrome 64.

>Should I stick with what I am doing?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But if you're asking, you may
not be too sure it ain't broke.

>Should I be using slide film for composed portraits and negative
>film for candids?

I'd use NPS for both.  IMO, it's unbeatable for skin tones.

>SHOULD I be using slide film for landscapes?

Absolutely.

>I've always had great results, but sometimes change is nice...

That's why there's more than one type of film, and they all work,
so what's to lose?  Have fun.

The opinions expressed above are solely mine and any resemblance
to those of other photographers, living or dead, is purely
coincidental.

Walt Wayman