Re: [OM] Fuji vs. Kodak

Subject: Re: [OM] Fuji vs. Kodak
From: "M. Lloyd" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 22:39:37 -0700 (PDT)
I would go with Kodak 100 speed if you want good
grain. Every consumer 400 speed film I've ever used
has enormously unpleasant (to my eye at least) shadow
grain. Kodak 200 is alright but it's not nearly as
good as the 100 when it comes to picure quality. Never
used Fuji 200 but I would think its about the same. If
you need speed and want cheaper film go for the Fuji
400/800 it's better than Kodak's consumer 400/800. 100
speed Kodak has nicer tones and the best grain pattern
of all the consumer films (IMO).

With all that in mind I would go try out Kodak's pro
Portra film. The 160NC gives much better quality pics
at 160 than the 200 consumer and noticeably better
than the 100. I havent's shot 2 rolls of consumer film
since I got the Portra. Be careful though and buy from
E-bay (The Film Club has very good prices) or B&H.
Local store charge $8.00 a roll. Buy a 10 pack online
and you can get that down to $4.00 a roll. Fuji makes
an equivalent film that to my eye is pretty much
identical so it's a brand choice for me and I choose
Portra over Fuji NPS (although I got a very good deal
on a 10 pack of 400 speed NPS recently so I'm trying
it out, haven't tried the 400 speed pro films yet).

Mark Lloyd