Re: [OM] Help choosing a lens(new)

Subject: Re: [OM] Help choosing a lens(new)
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 18:21:39 -0700
I agree with the suggestion of the Tamron SP 60-300, if you are supplementing a shorter len(s), or don't want anything shorter. It's a wonderful lens, but not a single 'do-everything' lens for most.

A lens that does fit that category and your budget is the Tamron SP 35-210/35.-4.2. It's a sharp, good quality lens that covers modest WA through medium telephoto and focuses down to 1:4 and is fast enough for decent finder brightness and focusing. They often go for less than $100. It's an adaptall 2 lens, so you would need to find one with an Oly adapter or buy the adapter separately. I prefer the Tokina AT-X 35-200/3.5-4.5 as it's smaller and lighter, but it's much harder to find and less likely to fit in your budget.

The Oly 35-70/3.6 is an excellent lens and the 35-70/3.5-4.5 is really small and light and both can be found in your price range with patience, but they don't go long enough to meet my taste or your original criterion of tele compressed landscapes. All the other quality solutions for speed, focal length range, etc. that I can think of are out of your price range. There are lots of third party zooms in the short to medium tele category. Some of the old ones, like the famous Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 are fine lenses (I used one for years), but only cover a 3x range, are bigger and heavier than the more recent design 5x lenses above.

Moose

Grigorov, Boris wrote:

Thanks to all who responded to me. May be I should rephrase my question about the 70-210 lens. I am looking to spend between $120 and 150 on a zoom lens (preferably, I intend to travel).
<snip>