Re: [OM] Absolutely OT: Macys

Subject: Re: [OM] Absolutely OT: Macys
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 07:48:50 EDT
Sam,
Unfortunately there's not much you can do. Their return policy is most
certainly prominently posted around the sales registers. All stores here,
from Macy's to Home Depot are plagued by theft rings that steal the items
from the store, then return them for a refund or credit. The stores do
require someone to produce identification when making a return, but these
people will just pay someone else to do the return, or wait outside for an
elderly person and explain to them that they don't have a drivers license,
and can't return their items, and ask the unsuspecting person to return the
item for them.

WE believe you that the items were purchased legally and you have a receipt,
but what happens if Macy's tells you to go ahead and mail the items back, and
you do so, but without a receipt? What is macy's supposed to do then? Put
yourself in their place and you'll see that the scam artists out there ruin
things for law-abiding people every day.

George S.

 sam.shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

HI

I need some advice from our American listees here that is about as far away
from Olympus as I can think....

This is it....On a visit to the States my brother-in-law bought some clothes
in Macys for my wife, but they are the wrong size. we've emailed Macys
customer service, asking if we can post the stuff back to them for
replacement (we have the receipt) but amazingly they are refusing, just
quoting the company line that "goods must be taken back to the store for an
exchange"... Is this "Good Customer Service" or what?

Anyway, I'm about the write a letter to their CEO (can't find his email
address anywhere), but can you guys recommend any other agencies I could
involve or threaten them with if they stick their heels in. e.g. here in UK
there are a couple of consumer rights programmes on the TV that'll take up
the challenge

Oly content... well, if my wife doesn't get this sorted out she'll be
miserable and I'll feel too guilty to take some pictures for a few days.

Cheers

Sam