[OM] 50mm f1.8 question

Subject: [OM] 50mm f1.8 question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 20:24:59 -0400
Martin asked:
Can someone explain what is the difference between a 50mm f1.8 that is
marked just "Japan" and is MC and has a green tint to the lens and
another that is marked "Made in Japan" without the MC and has a purple
tint?...From past list info the made in Japan is the more desirable yet
this particular lens is not MC and has a serial #5611818...Which is the
better lens?...Any clarification would be appreciated...Thanks,  Martin
My "Made in Japan" 50mm f1.8 shows both strong green and purple
reflections and is serial # 3,753,xxx.  Your lens with serial #5,611,xxx
is a later lens.  If it only shows purple I would simply assume that the
coating formulations had changed by then.  I'd go with the later serial
number as probably the better lens but you'd probably be hard pressed to
tell them apart photographically.  My older SC lenses reflect not only
purple but have a strong yellow or gold component as well.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA