[OM] First "Pro" Shoot done...to a degree

Subject: [OM] First "Pro" Shoot done...to a degree
From: nrky@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 19:16:59 -0500
Hi All,

Again, thanks to all who wrote both on and off-list to answer "dumb"
questions
I had the other week regarding the Martial Arts tournament I shot this
last week-
end.

I just got through sorting the frame numbers from what I took down as I
shot, to
what the lab put on the negs.  Out of 54 confirmed (paid for) sales, only
1 negative
that was bad (on the first roll, and TOTALLY my fault - forgot to rewind
before opening
stupid stupid) Problem is, I disappoint 2 customers with that faux
paux...

I went through 7 rolls of Porta160nc through the OM-1md from ~9AM to 5PM
plus another
roll through the OM-4 in "PJ" mode from 6PM to ~7PM.

The only equipment problems I had were the rented strobes not firing for
an agonizing
minute...turning them off and back on solved that, but I still don't know
why.

For the groups of 4 in "Olympics" style portraits, I used the 35/f2.8
with hood (a 9 foot
backdrop is -just- enough to cover 4 people if you use all of the frame)
and the -1
in vertical.  I was thrown a curve by the Grand Master that after the
competition was
over, he wanted me to shoot all of the other masters (plus two that will
be masters
this fall) head and shoulders.  Luckily I took someone's advice and had
brought my
whole stable of lenses, and used the 100/2.8 for those.

For PJ stuff I followed John Lind's advice of using a 50 and using my
feet as a zoom.
(You're right John, I'm thinking that using the 35/2.8 would have had a
problem with
crowding the subjects - 50mm is more natural and gives some distance
without
loosing too much light)

I did use a softbox for the PJ stuff, and from what I see in the index
print, will have
no problems of the 1 to 1 1/3 stop loss from the box. (probably because I
was
pretty close to the subjects, though the -4 gave me a scare for a while
as I thought
I'd lost some shots by stopping down to 8 then 5.6, then settling for 4
when the
light finally started to flicker in the viewfinder)

Thanks again all!

Bill  >; P
(Owner of only "pedestrian" Zuiks, no stellars and can still take pix)
"Life unfolds on a great sheet called Time (film)*,
and once finished (developed)* is gone(here)* forever..."
*provided ya have a good archival system in place.