Re: [OM] 85 mm f/2

Subject: Re: [OM] 85 mm f/2
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:49:16 -0500
Removal of the front ring of the 85mm is a bit more involved than most
Zuikos.  First, the entire front lens group must be removed.  It's best to
start with the "name ring" and then the front element, then the "frame"
that holds all the rest of the front group is easier to unscrew.  Then
you'll see that the front ring, or filter ring, is held on by three
Phillips screws on the inside of the barrel.  They're a little tough to get
to unless you have an "offset screwdriver", such as is used to get into an
OM-2/2n.

As usual, there are two versions of this lens.  The part number for the
earlier model is CA980900, the part for the later version is CA204900.  The
only sure way I see to tell the difference is to look at the rear end of
the front group once it's been removed -- the later version has a black
metal cover glued onto the rear element, the earlier doesn't.  If you've
got silver reveals at the front edges of the filter ring, it's sure to be
an earlier version -- incidentally, I've got a few of these filter rings on
hand, but none of the later kind.  I doubt Olympus will have any of these,
but if you need the later type you might try calling Olympus.