Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:41:14 +0100
Scott Gomez wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Three of the four you mention below refer to the same place/people:
>
> Holland=Dutch=The Netherlands (who are technically not Scandinavians, to my
> knowledge)
>
> Danish=Danes=from Denmark (and are Scandinavians, I believe)
>
> Scandinavia commonly includes Norway, Sweden and Denmark (at least to my
> memory; I don't know what's "official" any more). I'm not at all sure why it
> seems to often exclude Finland.

The Dutch are definitely not Scandinavian.  Scandinavian refers strictly
to just Norway and Sweden - it refers to a mountain range running up the
spine of those two countries.  But more commonly it refers to the
nations with Norse heritage: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, the Faroe
Islands.  The Finns are quite separate culturally, and speak a radically
different language from the Ugric group which has more in common with
Hungarian than with Swedish/Norwegian/Danish, all of which are mutually
comprehensible.  'Nordic' is sometimes used to refer to Scandinavia +
the Baltic states + Finland.  My apologies if that's far too much
information.

OM content - I went to Norway last weekend and it was extraordinarily
beautiful!  Took 5 rolls of film with my trusty OM-1, and am currently
busily scanning them in.  Will post a web link shortly!

Roger