[OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:35:43 -0800
Dan,

Three of the four you mention below refer to the same place/people:

Holland=Dutch=The Netherlands (who are technically not Scandinavians, to my
knowledge)

Danish=Danes=from Denmark (and are Scandinavians, I believe)

Scandinavia commonly includes Norway, Sweden and Denmark (at least to my
memory; I don't know what's "official" any more). I'm not at all sure why it
seems to often exclude Finland.

Much confusion in the USA often stems from the fact that Germans were
commonly called "Dutch" here. The term was further liberally applied to most
any European immigrants of generally blonde "Nordic" look, as well. For
example, the "Pennsylvania Dutch" are actually of German origin. In this
case (as is the case with many of German origin) the appellation "Dutch"
used in the USA seems to be a corruption of the German word "Deutsch," which
was used by those immigrants to describe themselves in their native
language.

---
Scott Gomez