[OM] Re: [OT] new camera and Photoshop 7.0

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] new camera and Photoshop 7.0
From: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:04:36 -0700
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Zuiks and Zuikettes,
This is an off-topic post; but I thought you might find some of
the info of interest, and since the gang here is so
knowledgeable, I thought I would ask my off-topic question
here, anyway.

I've been a registered user of Adobe Photoshop for a long time
now, know dating back to version 1.07. I just received my
upgrade to 7.0 Friday, and I can say that I am mighty
impressed. Understand that the last version I have been using
until Friday has been 3.05, which was purchased in 1996!
I am fairly blown away by the improvements. The interesting
thing is I have opened the same scan in Photoshop 3.05 and 7.0,
and my slide scans look *better* than they do in 3.05. I don't
know why this is, but slides that I thought look a bit low on
contrast or dull, look great in 7.0. Lots of new features, like
Auto Color, the Healing tool and patch tool, image browser,
blah, blah. This is a rather long-winded way of saying  that I
think this is a well-worthwhile upgrade for those of you that
have the app.

[OT] I have a Yashica T4, which I really, really like. (Yes, I
know its not an XA or Stylus series, but I have taken some
simply stunning slides with this little point & shoot). Anyway,
the problem I have been having lately is that it seems
consistently be over-exposing photographs. This may be due to
my having the camera in my CamelBak when I biffed mountain
biking up on the "Off the Top" trail at Mammoth last
September. Yesterday, as an experiment, I went up to the
vintage motorcycle races at Sears Point and shot duplicate
photos of the old  Concours condition bikes with my recently
CLA'd (by John H.) OM-1N (since I know the meter with that
will be bang-on accurate) and the Yashica T4 to see if this is a
really happening. So my question is: anyone have any idea why
this might be happening or if it will be repairable? I've gotten
mixed responses on this question from camera people, some say
its a cheap P&S and not repairable, and other folks say that it
is repairable. Any input any of you that have experience with
this would be welcome. I really like this camera a lot and would
like to have it working properly again.

On the same note, went looking for film scanners up at Looking
Glass in Berkeley only to find out Nikon is backordered on
Coolscan IV ED's. Dang. But while I was there, the Contax
guys were there with their one-day big promotional shabang.
They were selling cameras at *cost* that day only. I played
with the beautiful new Contax T3....what a cool camera.
Titanium body, a newly redesigned Zeiss T* Sonnar 35mm f2.8,
*really* small and compact, full AE or aperture priority,
manual focus (zone based) control and beautifully constructed.
I caved and paid for one. Was $626, which is $74 less than at
B&H Photo. Will be here in about a week. For those curious, I
will let you know wht I think of it once I put some film
through it, but I plan on keeping this puppy with me at all
times.

Lasty, and finally, on-topic.....I shot with my old original OM-1
yesterday after getting back from its CLA, and man, what a
pleasure to use! I really love that camera.

-Stephen Scharf.