Re: [OM] Portraits for comment

Subject: Re: [OM] Portraits for comment
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 00:08:20 -0500
At 20:26 4/23/02, Mickey wrote:
Hi folks,
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I recently took portraits of local chorus
members. I've placed them on a website for your perusal. This group has such
depth in experience and ability to articulate very useful commentary, I beg
your indulgence. If you'd care to look and provide constructive criticism,
I'd be quite appreciative.
[snip]

Overall they look nice. I like the rendition of what I see in skin tones and preservation of detail in the white shirts/blouses. Nice 3-D rendition of facial features, catchlight(s) in the eyes, and no glaring hot spots on the faces. Looks like the lighting is almost Rembrandt for some and Loop for others; very traditional. Those with very dark hair seem have their hair almost lost in the low key background. Some possible solutions: (a) Bringing it up some by using a "kicker" light behind your subjects on the floor just in front of the backdrop. The ones I've seen used are small domed, low power strobes with an optical slave built in so your main light trigger them. (b) Low power hair light, typically using a snoot to toplight the hair, give it highlights and provide separation from low key backdrop. (c) Backdrop of neutral mid-tone. While some use this as a "failsafe" method, I rather like the low key background and see this as a last resort.

Just some ideas . . . again, I like the basic key lighting and fill. As good and better than I've seen many who call themselves pros do.

-- John