[OM] Printer followup

Subject: [OM] Printer followup
From: "Bob Whitmire" <rlw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 06:11:12 -0400
A while back I posted a question about printers suitable for doing 8x10
proofs to decide which chromes to have scanned and printed on a Lightjet.
After much good advice from here and other places, I settled on the Epson
Stylus Photo 820. Basic photo printer, with a limit on width of 8.5 inches.
Any length, apparently, including panoramic. Priced at $149.99 at B&H, with
a $50 Epson rebate that has been extended, as I recall, until the end of
this month. Using Epson Premium Glossy or Colorlife paper, the results are
superb, though some prints can take up to 10 minutes to run. Using HP
Premium Glossy, results aren't so good.

If anyone's looking for a $100 printer to make nice 8x10s and smaller, the
820 ain't too bad. A note: B&H was the only place I found with the rebate.
Don't know why. (If you do buy, however, the rebate coupon that comes from
B&H is dated so as to appear as though it has expired. I called the Epson
number on the coupon, however, and they told me about the extension. Buy
before end of April, send in coupon before end of May. Double check to be
sure.)

Best,

--Bob Whitmire