Re: [OM] 50mm MC F1.8 - small rant

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm MC F1.8 - small rant
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 21:16:12 +1200
Lama wrote

> By now it's obvious that I spent another session reading Gary's lens testing
> results.  How come everyone praises the 50 / f1.8 of the "Made in Japan" MC
> variant?  His results don't match the praise heaped upon it.
>
> I'm not doubting his tests but wow, is picture taking THAT much different
> from resolution testing?
>
> Scratching my head yet again,  Lama

I've noticed that too, so now I have two of them to test, as I have my doubts
about the first one I bought. Fortunately, with the exercise of a little
patience,
it has proved to be an affordable thing to do.

My interim thoughts however, are that the variation between individual lenses
of the one model (and we know some were made in several or more runs)
can be quite large.  Also, use/abuse of individual lenses can affect their
performance.

Where Gary has tested several lenses of the same kind the different
"grades" yield different results.

If you think you have a sharp lens, quite possibly you have, and should value
it accordingly.  Also, remember, it was frequent practice for professional
photographers who were in the market for a particular lens, to get a case lot
of that lens from the agent, test the lot, and purchase the best lens of the
lot,
and send the rest back.  Would they do that if the lenses were all precisely
the same?

Above all, don't get splinters under your finger-nails <g>

Brian.