Re: [OM] Flattening film [was: slides]

Subject: Re: [OM] Flattening film [was: slides]
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:36:18 -0700
on 4/15/02 5:23 PM, Daniel J. Mitchell at DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

>> my strips come back to me with little curl almost always.
>
> Does anyone know how the processors do this? All the film I've processed
> myself has _tons_ of curl in it; it starts off wanting to curl because it's
> been stored curled up for the majority of its lifetime, and nothing I do
> when processing it makes this tendency change.
>
> It's not a huge problem, but it means that all the film storage sheets I'm
> accumulating tend to want to curl up at the ends.. I've tried holding it
> down with something heavy for a while, but that didn't help; I'm wary of
> trying to curl the film the other way in case I mess it up in the process.
>
> thanks,
>
> -- dan

We used to use little clamp-on weights to hang the strips. One end was a
clip-on hook, the other a clip-on weight, and hang the strip of film from a
metal rod in the drying cabinet at the community college photo lab. I
suppose you could use something like that and hang it in the shower. Out of
the wash, rinse in photo-flow, peel it off the reel, and 'squeege' between
two clean fingers, then clip the ends and hang it up.
--

Jim Brokaw