RE: [OM] Flattening film [was: slides]

Subject: RE: [OM] Flattening film [was: slides]
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:35:52 -0400
At 6:23 PM -0600 4/15/02, Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

my strips come back to me with little curl almost always.

Does anyone know how the processors do this? All the film I've processed
myself has _tons_ of curl in it; it starts off wanting to curl because it's
been stored curled up for the majority of its lifetime, and nothing I do
when processing it makes this tendency change.

It's not a huge problem, but it means that all the film storage sheets I'm
accumulating tend to want to curl up at the ends.. I've tried holding it
down with something heavy for a while, but that didn't help; I'm wary of
trying to curl the film the other way in case I mess it up in the process.

Much of what makes for the curl is the emulsion shrinking when it dries.
In theory you could humidify the film to just the right level to get it flat.
(The other day when scanning a TOPE candidate I screwed up with the off-brand
dust-off and had to wash and rinse the negative; while it was drying it had serious reverse curl)

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx