RE: [OM] (OM) Film and travel

Subject: RE: [OM] (OM) Film and travel
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:34:46 -0600
> It will be interesting to hear what they plan to do to take
> care of their unexposed film, and how it all panned out.

 Well, here's what happened when I went from Canada -> UK and back:

 Calgary -> Ottawa, everything goes through the machine (wallet, the lot),
they wanted to see electronics turned on, etc. That said, I put
film/wallet/etc in one of the plastic trays they use for that stuff, and the
guy checking things said "computer coming up" (okay, it was actually a
Gameboy, but whatever) and it gave the impression that they were turning the
x-ray intensity down.

 Ottawa -> London(UK), as above, but without the 'computer coming up' bit;
and they wanted to rummage around in my bag before it went through the x-ray
machine.

 London -> Ottawa, return trip, wallet goes into the little tray outside the
main xray machine, I had film in one of those lead-lined bags, all went
through the machine. They did a manual search of my bag on the way into the
departure lounge, but not when going through the x-ray place.

 Ottawa -> Calgary = same as ottawa -> london.

  There were _big_ queues of people at the security points everywhere, so I
didn't feel like getting into any sort of argument with the security people;
and I'd printed the rolls of 1600 I took, so I was just left with 100 film,
which theoretically should be more resistant to x-rays.

 End results: I can't see anything wrong with any of them -- no colour
distortion, no markings, all looks fine. (composition still leaves something
to be desired, but I don't think I can blame that on the x-ray machines,
sadly)

 -- dan