Re: [OM] [OT] Suggestion for OT posts

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Suggestion for OT posts
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:07:10 +0200 (CEST)
These, among other things, are already being looked into.

If/when I arrive at a suitable solution, compatible with the software used
to run the Olympus-list, I'll approach Shawn (who's running the machine
hosting the list) to have his approval and - finally - him implementing
the solution on the zuiko-host.

So just be patient - and now, let's resume the regular OM-contents....

--thomas

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Ed Senior wrote:

> I am on another list (Vidpro-l, for video professionals) that also has a
> somewhat high signal to noise ratio ( on topic to off topic posts).
>  They have a way of filtering the posts as they are sent out so that
> those who do not wish to read off topic posts can avoid them.
>
> The process involves senders inserting [OT] or [OFF] in front of the
> subject when composing their posts (as I have done here).  By a setting
> in the mail list on the listserv computer, those who have elected not to
> receive posts flagged this way do not see them.  I don't know if this is
> feasible for the version of listserv used by this list, but it could be
> a big help.
>
> An alternate suggestion, if the above is not possible, is to set a mail
> filter so that any posts flagged [OT] or [OFF] are deleted
> automatically.  I know this can be done in MS Outlook and Outlook
> Express, and I believe it can be done in Netscape, too.  I don't know
> about AOL or third party mail readers, though.  However, you can always
> manually skip over any such flagged posts.
>
> While I'm on the subject, most of the other mail lists have a provision
> for suspending mail delivery for extended periods of time, such as
> vacations.  Could this feature be added to the OM list listserv?
>
> Ed Senior

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering