[OM] [OT] Suggestion for OT posts

Subject: [OM] [OT] Suggestion for OT posts
From: Ed Senior <newshawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:33:00 -0400
I am on another list (Vidpro-l, for video professionals) that also has a somewhat high signal to noise ratio ( on topic to off topic posts). They have a way of filtering the posts as they are sent out so that those who do not wish to read off topic posts can avoid them.

The process involves senders inserting [OT] or [OFF] in front of the subject when composing their posts (as I have done here). By a setting in the mail list on the listserv computer, those who have elected not to receive posts flagged this way do not see them. I don't know if this is feasible for the version of listserv used by this list, but it could be a big help.

An alternate suggestion, if the above is not possible, is to set a mail filter so that any posts flagged [OT] or [OFF] are deleted automatically. I know this can be done in MS Outlook and Outlook Express, and I believe it can be done in Netscape, too. I don't know about AOL or third party mail readers, though. However, you can always manually skip over any such flagged posts.

While I'm on the subject, most of the other mail lists have a provision for suspending mail delivery for extended periods of time, such as vacations. Could this feature be added to the OM list listserv?

Ed Senior