Re: [OM] OM-2S advantages and disadvantages

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S advantages and disadvantages
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:39:30 -0500
At 20:14 4/10/02, Paul Schings wrote:
In a message dated 04/10/2002 8:36:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bryan223@xxxxxxx writes:

What, if any, are the advantages of an OM-2S over an OM-2N?

Some observations in addition to the fine ones Paul has already made . . .

Advantage: Program mode - camera selects shutter speed and aperture. Great
when you want to hand the camera to someone and get in the picture
Disadvantage: Program mode - the extra linkages required slows the maximum
motor drive speed to 3.5fps in all modes

I've never used the Program Mode; with Auto and Manual modes also, I maintain better control using those. If you're accustomed to the Auto mode on the OM-2n you won't likely use it much, if at all. Additional disadvantage: it cannot be "biased" except by limiting the smallest f-stop that can be used using the aperture ring on the lens; somewhat of a workaround for biasing toward faster shutter speeds, but still rather crude.

Advantage: Spot metering in manual mode
Disadvantage: Only spot metering in manual mode, no center weighted available

Workaround (albeit not that elegant): Use Auto mode and use compensation dial if you don't like what the center-weighting will do with the shutter speed for a given aperture setting.

Advantage: Sub-mirror based metering - allows for use of 2-x screen without
modification or affect on meter readings

Also, strong backlighting doesn't throw the viewfinder metering off as it does in the OM-1[n] and OM-2[n].

Advantage: Sexiest shutter sound in OM-dom
Disadvantage: Loudest shutter of the single-digit OMs

Agreed -- sexiest *electronic* shutter I've ever heard (IMO there are some sexier mechanical ones). Doesn't seem all that loud to me though. There are plenty other cameras around (Can*n and Nik*n) with louder shutters. Additional Disadvantage: If you get accustomed to critical split-second timing with the shutter release using other OM bodies, this one has a slightly longer delay between pressing the release and curtain travel. It takes a little practice to learn how to switch back and forth between different bodies for this . . . but it can be done.

Disadvantage: Standard green flash LED drains camera battery; a modification
to a red LED that uses flash power is available

There have been several occasions with heavy flash use and it hasn't been a problem for me. It would likely be for someone, such as Ag-Schnozz, who would use it to shoot a weddings and frequently have a flash turned on for an entire day at a time.

Disadvantage: Continuous battery drain, but I get 6 months to a year out of a
set in mine

I get 9 months to a year from mine; this varies by user, but both of our experience is within the average range; use #357 watch cells!

I bought one as a less expensive primary backup to the OM-4. It's the next best thing to an OM-4 if you cannot afford one, or don't want to spend that much. In use, I found I can pick either one up and the only minor adjustment I make is in timing a critical split-second shutter release.

-- John