RE: [OM] Shiloh Reenactment Photos

Subject: RE: [OM] Shiloh Reenactment Photos
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:34:07 -0600
It's amazing what gets read into a simple statement. I wondered out loud
about why people are so fascinated by battle reenactments. Several people
stated what they found valuable about the reenactments and they made good
points. John Cwiklinski seemed to think I wanted to start a war/anti-war
thread which was not the case. Like it or not, war is inevitable. I even
drew a personal attack from Walt Wayman, as have others who asked a question
or ventured an opinion he didn't like. In answer to Walt's statements, I
agree that we must study history to help avoid repeating some events.
Whether or not that means reenacting things is questionable. I don't believe
in sheltering the youth from the truth of the past....we do need to avoid
glamorizing some things that are really very horrible. I don't know if the
reenactments actually do that...but I hope not. As to my having my head up
my ass;  I'm just not that limber. I've proved that I can get my foot in my
mouth though. Old Walt can be forgiven for all that stuff, but calling me
politically correct really pisses me off. I like filthy jokes, pornographic
art, erotic literature, firearms and blades.  I hunt and I've been hunted.
I've killed, and sometimes it was enjoyable.  Politically
correct........naaaaaa.