[OM] Re: Whale watching gear selection

Subject: [OM] Re: Whale watching gear selection
From: Andrea <pdxgirl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 10:33:29 -0700
Thanks to everyone for their input! I now have a better idea what to use,
although it is always tempting to take the whole kit.  Based on the advice I
have gotten so far, I think I will be going today to pick up some film (looks
like Portra VC) and a linear polarizer for the 70-210.  I'm hoping that this
will be similar to whale watching experiences I had as a teenager, when the
whales were close enough to the boat to *touch* them, in which case, that 24
will be nice to have.  Also hoping the 135/3.5 formerly known as Bob Gries'
will be getting its first real workout.

Jim Tempe - great suggestion of the Newport Aquarium.  It is one of my favorite
places on the coast, and actually much better after they shipped Keiko off to
Iceland.  Hardly ever crowded, and their exhibits are stunning while being
adult and kid friendly.

Thanks again to all -
Andrea
p.s. trip is tomorrow!

In a message dated 04/09/2002 1:43:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pdxgirl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes

> Would like input on what folks would take (lenses, film speed/type) on a
> smallish boat for a short (2 hr) whale watching trip on the central Oregon
> coast.

<snip>