Re: [OM] Whale watching gear selection

Subject: Re: [OM] Whale watching gear selection
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:31:09 EDT
Cc: pdxgirl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 04/09/2002 1:43:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pdxgirl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Would like input on what folks would take (lenses, film speed/type) on a
smallish boat for a short (2 hr) whale watching trip on the central Oregon
coast.   Chances are it will be at least partly cloudy, but we may get pretty
close to the whales.  I was planning to take my OM1-MD instead of my 2SP
because I lack a circular polarizer, the 1-MD is more beat up and if it fell
in, I wouldn't cry as hard (but I would jump in after it).  Here's what I
have at my disposal:
24/2.8
28/3.5
50/1.8
135/3.5
70-210/4.5-5.6
2XA TC
linear polarizer (is it worth is to get a circular one for this trip?)
OM1-MD
OM2SP

Andrea,

I wouldn't worry too much about the linear polarizer on the OM-2S, as long as
you stay in auto or program mode it won't affect exposure. It only affects
the displayed shutter speed in auto/program, and the manual reading.  Even
considering this, if you are only bringing one body I'd suggest the OM-1. If
I'm bringing just one camera it's usually an OM-1. They just give me a warm
fuzzy that I don't get from the electronic bodies.

As for lenses, the 70-210 will probably get the most use. I'd probably bring
the 24 and maybe the 2-x. If you haven't tried the 70-210 with the 2-x before
you might want to. If it's too dark/hard to focus then don't bother with it.

Do you plan on shooting slides or negatives? For slides, most would probably
recommend Provia 100. As previously stated, it pushes well to 400 so you can
shoot at either speed as the conditions dictate - not on the same roll of
course! If you think conditions will be very variable, you might want to
consider bringing both bodies and keeping 100 speed in one and 400 speed in
another.

If you will be shooting negatives I'd go with Portra 400VC - even if it gets
bright it will handle a stop or two of overexposure very easily.

Hope this helps!

Paul Schings