[OM] Re: Lens problem, I think

Subject: [OM] Re: Lens problem, I think
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 05:45:45 -0500
At 4/9/02 07:17 AM, you wrote:
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 00:08:40 -0400
From: Ed Senior <newshawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Lens problem, I think

I bought a Vivitar 80-200/f4.0 lens new in the box about a month ago,
when I first started my Olympus "frenzy".  When I tried the lens on one
of my 2n bodies, it worked fine, but on the second 2n, the meter always
read in the 1/8 sec vicinity.  Last week, I was sitting in the back yard
of a friend's house (where we stayed on our vacation) and was just
trying out various lenses.  I put the 80-200 on the second 2n body and
once again got the 1/8 sec. meter indication.  I pulled out the first 2n
and the meter read fine... until I turned the aperture ring to f22.
 Then, I heard a click and the meter dropped to the 1/8 sec. range like
the second body does.  Later, I checked the aperture indicator lever on
the back of the 80-200... it's .5 mm shorter than any other lens that I
have.

My question is, have any of you run into this before, and what can be
done about it?  Should I contact the seller of the lens (a camera store)
or go directly to Vivitar and see if they will do a warranty repair,
since the lens was purchased new by me.  Thanks for your help.

Ed Senior

Hi Ed....

Might be a common problem with this lens... I also bought one (my first eBay venture) as 'new old stock', and found the pin to be 0.8 mm shorter than my other lenses. I also measured the depth into my 4T of the tab that contacts said pin, and found it to be within 0.2mm of the length of the pin, meaning any variation and the body lever slipped past the pin and the camera lost all idea of the aperture setting on the lens. I was pretty sure that Vivitar would do nothing about a 20+ year old lens, regardless of its 'new' status, and I was reluctant to go back to the seller (it was new, after all), so I parked on the shelf for awhile. As it turns out, I bought an OM-PC a bit later, and found that it's body lever was a bit farther forward (a mm or so) which was sufficient to reliably engage the short pin on the Vivitar, so now the lens is 'dedicated' to the OM-PC!

When I discovered all this, I posted to the list to see if anyone else had similar experience... yours is the first similar experience I've noted. Interesting it is the same lens model! At the time I was interested in compiling some statistics on pin length and lever depth, but didn't have access to that many bodies or lenses, and no one on the list shared my fascination with this question, so.... my collection has expanded since then, so maybe I'll get out my digital calipers one of these days and measure my kit, just to be doin'!

Anyway, I suggest that you contact the camera store about this, to see if you can get any satisfaction.

Curt