Re: [OM] How slow is too slow (aperature)

Subject: Re: [OM] How slow is too slow (aperature)
From: Ian Nichols <i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:56:47 +0100
In article <3CACA971.1040304@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Conrad Vogel <conrad@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When I press the dof button and release it, the blades quickly close,
> but not nearly as quickly as my 1.8.

> Is this ok?  Is there a possiblity of underexposure from the blades
> being ever so much slower to close & open back up?

I'd say overexposure was more likely - if the aperture hasn't fully
stopped down before the shutter fires, it will let more light through than
you wanted.

Put the lens on a body, point it at a light coloured wall or somesuch,
open the back and watch what happens when you fire the shutter at 1/60s or
slower.  You should be able to see if the aperture closes all the way.
Compare it with the same trick but with the shutter on "B", when ,
presumably the aperture will certainly have had time to close to the stop
you've set.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |              http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/         |
|  \-/| |  /  |                     iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                 |
|             *                   i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx               |