Re: [OM] Kind of on topic... you decide.

Subject: Re: [OM] Kind of on topic... you decide.
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 15:31:11 -0500
Cc: ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx
This company has been around for about five years trying to get this product to market. They started out as Imagek and morphed into (e)Film and then SiliconFilm. They've sucked up a whole heap of investor money along the way and been sold a few times. If you search the list archives, you'll see this topic comes up about every 3-4 months or so.

Want a laugh?  Here's a brief, non-financial chronological look:

March 1998: <$1,000. "IMAGEK expects to demonstrate EFS-1 this spring following a careful review of upcoming venues. IMAGEK expects EFS-1 to be available in Summer 1998"

January 1999: <$800. "We have selected our first two rounds of beta testers for the IMAGEK Electronic Film System. Our target date for initial availability is June of 1999. Initial unit price will be under $800."

May 1999: <$800 "IMAGEK expects initial systems to be available Summer 1999."

January 2000: $699 "Product availability Summer 2000". "Although a limited number of pre-orders may be accepted, it is anticipated that EFS-1 will be available for consumer sale during the first half of calendar 2000. "

November 2000: $699 "Product availability is expected following the completion of product testing, field testing and agency certification of EFS-1, planned to be completed in the fall, 2000."

May 2001: $699 "Components of the EFS-1 system are available to order, with initial deliveries planned for June, 2001"

September 2001: Still $699, but no dates for delivery now! "The EFS-1 system and its components will be available directly from Silicon Film Technologies"

Today: NO Price, NO Dates. "Where can I buy Silicon Film products? EFS-1 will initially be available directly from Silicon Film's website, www.siliconfilm.com. Please monitor our website for future availability in other countries."

It was a nice concept about two or three years ago, but the small size of the sensor and the limited body compatibility will never make it a commercial success.

There is ZERO chance of them making an OM body unit, IMO.

Skip