Re: [OM] Re: Battery conversion

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Battery conversion
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:48:20 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Chris Barker wrote:

> Eric
>
> Welcome to the List (haven't seen your name before, forgive me if you
> are not new ;-)).
>
> Your camera is designed to use the 1.35v battery, but since they
> contain mercury the EU (inter alia) have banned their use.  There are
> still some available, but it is easier to get your camera converted
> to use the 1.5v batteries that the other OMs use (but only one of
> them).  I sent my OM1N to Colchester Cameras for a repair some years
> ago (1998) and they did the conversion in the price of £72 +VAT).
> You can get hold of them on 01296 790009.
>
> John Hermanson (www.zuiko.com) and Clint (www.olyfix.com) are in the
> US if you want to use them (they come highly recommended).

First, thanks for listing clints www-site. I didn't know 'bout it before
;)

Secondly, there is another option to having the camera converted:
MR9-adaptors.  I've still got a supply of the "forbidden" mercury
batteries, but I figured that it cannot last forever. Living in Europe, I
thought it too annoying to ship OM1's overseas to John/Clint just for a
battery conversion. Instead I ordered some MR9-adaptors from John (along
with some other stuff). They're cheap and reported to work well.

I've not received mine yet since they're part of an order with more
things, kindly being collected by John before shipping to save me the
costs ;)

--thomas