Re: [OM] Alpine Decisions

Subject: Re: [OM] Alpine Decisions
From: "John Cwiklinski" <plinkochips@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 21:35:38 -0800
C. H. Ling wrote:

There was no "stiff aperture ring" problem with the five 36-70/3.6 I once own (still have one working, two bad glasses).<<

Egad, what would you need 5 of these things for?

C. H. Ling continues:

But all of them have poor rubber focusing ring and zoom ring. Some with non consistence focusing force (need regressing). The focusing traveling is long, around 180 deg from min focusing distance to infinity.<<

I probably should be more technical, as C.H. Ling et al, in my explanations rather than the terms I used (i.e. clunky, took forever to focus). I agree, once I was able to focus correctly, the pictures were of very good quality.

In my humble opinion, the 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 is a better lens than the 3.6. It is lighter, easier to focus and appears to me to take the same quality pictures. If you look at the lens test page of Gary Reese, I believe Gary's results of the 2 lenses are about the same w/ a slight edge to the 3.5 - 4.5.

John Cwiklinski