[OM] Re: Tamrons

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamrons
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 13:43:13 -0500
>From: wavegirl <wavegirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron Adapral And OM-4t
>
>Speaking of Tamron, some of their lenses are looking pretty good these days.
>I used to be a proponent of only buying Zuiko lenses for my Oly, but have
>been looking hard at some of the Tamron stuff for when I next have a bit of
>money. Anybody have any experience with/comments about them, especially
>compared to proper Zuiko kit?

>From personal experience:

90/2.5 macro (49mm filter version):  decent substitute for the Zuiko 90 at
a much lower cost (for macro work, anyway).
300/2.8 (green IF model): great lens, very sharp with high contrast - used
examples <$1000 on the bay.
400/4: very great lens, only slightly larger and takes same hood and
filters as the 300/2.8.  Image quality seems to be similar my Zuiko 250/2.

For me, the best Tamrons fill the gaps where Zuikos generally don't have a
matching entry.

The 80-200/2.8 has already been mentioned; the 17mm also has a good
reputation.

I had a Tamron 500/8 mirror that I quickly unloaded when I picked up my
Sigma 500/4.  I also have the Tamron 350/5.6 mirror that never gets used.
The mirror lenses don't thrill me as they are slow and lacking in contrast.
 A good economical solution if you need the focal length on a budget, though.

Steve Troy