Re: [OM] Telephoto lens flamethrower

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens flamethrower
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 22:36:57 -0700
At 12:28 AM 29/03/2002 +0000, Kierstin wrote:
>very rough ride eh...?
>
>No, I am just joking... will all lenses list 'F' numbers, is this a system
>that all manufacturers use?

Yes, though they have various ways of indicating the F-number.  Some do it like
this:

   300/4.5 (focal length followed by maximum aperture)

some like this:

   1:4.5 (maximum aperture [focal length listed separately])

and some like this:

   f/4.5

- or -

   F/4.5

- or -

   F4.5.

(All maximum aperture info.)

>you said any 'AT-X' lens, does this mean if the model number begins in
>'AT-X' its a keeper (I mean if it is undamaged)?

The AT-X line was Tokina's Advanced Technology line, and was well-respected.
*Very* popular in the 1980s.  They're still making a few models, I believe, but
even better designs are available now.  If you manage to get one of these and
it's in good condition, you'll be pleased with the results, I think.

>I would so like to try my hand at sunsets, but I don't want to burn my money
>in the glow.

Start with your 50mm F/1.8 Zuiko!  Get some really slow (i.e., ASA 50 or 25)
film (slide or print, doesn't matter), a tripod and a nice evening.  If you get
some good shots, the slow speed of the film should give you fine enough grain
that (if you're using print film) you can get some pretty nice & large prints
made from it.  Underexpose the shot, and do some bracketing around the
exposure.  Take notes so you remember what you did.  Have fun.

>I am also taken prior member advice by buying a tripod (22 hrs to go, the
>suspense is killing me).  I am going to 'snipe' it (thank you Joshua), just
>to be sure (reasonably sure) of success.

Indispensible, in some instances.  I don't use my tripod enough (and I pay for
it dearly!).

Garth