RE: [OM] Zoom or not to Zoom-LONG Ramble

Subject: RE: [OM] Zoom or not to Zoom-LONG Ramble
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:10:42 -0800
I am so glad someone chimed in in favor of zooms. My
first lenses where zooms. For a while that is all I
had. I used them for everything, landscape, people,
macro, everything.

I still tend to do this. I often take pictures at
parties. A zoom is the way to go. By the time you
position yourself for the shot with a 50mm (or other
prime) the shot is gone.

You have to realize that a group that has not embraced autofocus is a conservative lot. Probably one of Olympus' worst marketing disappointments has been the attempt to sell zoom lenses to Olympus owners. They never did well in that endeavor. The owners hang onto their old systems because they feel their quality count for more than modern features. There are of course the traditional arguments about the difference in quality between primes and zooms. Though the differences may be less with modern zoom designs there are still differences that show in certain kinds of pictures. The older the design as most Oly zooms are, the larger the discrepancy becomes. You will find that many on the list let slip from time to time that they use some variant of a point and shoot for the kind of party pictures you talk about. So a zoom for that purpose becomes less important.

That said, I love my 35-80/2.8.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California