[OM] To Zoom or Not to Zoom long ramble

Subject: [OM] To Zoom or Not to Zoom long ramble
From: "Dave Dougherty" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:33:48 -0800
This thread is interesting from several points of view.  Some suggest that
primes are "always" to be preferred.  Others suggest that one who uses a
zoom lens is using a lens that doesn't know what length it wants to be; and
by association is, then, a photographer in search of a "correct" focal
length.

I suggest that each of the Zuikos have strengths and weaknesses.  The 50/3.5
is so sharp you would not want to use it on anyone who has any lines or
wrinkles.  The zooms that most of us can afford are relatively slow and so
we have to shoot in bright light or use flash.  But macro photos of flowers,
etc. are beautiful with the 50/3.5 and a zoom is indespensible for
situations where the subject is moving about and you, the photographer
cannot readily do so.

An example?  Try shooting a 2 year old who doesn't understand "hold still"
or "sit still".  Tightly framed shots sure are easier with a zoom lens.

My favorite body cap for my 4t is a 35-70/3.6.

Dave Dougherty