Re: [OM] Lens Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Advice
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:01:52 +0000
on 3/28/02 2:18 AM, Sean Davis at mr_shabby@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> After taking a little gander at what the local "King of Trade" had to offer,
> i found i need a little advice.  They've got an OM mount Vivitar Series 1
> 70-210mm f/3.5 for C$99 (US$65).  Looks to be in good condition, though i
> didn't look REALLY close - but no fungus or scratches and the aperture ring
> moves nicely & focus is smooth.

Very good lens, by reputation and the Oly and Nikon mount versions I have of
this lens both take excellent pictures... Built like a tank, and therefore
rather heavy. Considerably faster than the Zuiko/Cosina you have now, a
partial trade for the weight. They can develop zoom creep with age.

> Anyway, my question is this:  keeping in mind that i'm POOR (i.e. i can't
> buy Zuiko primes), should i hang on to the Olympus Zuiko (Cosina) 70-210
> f/4.5-5.6 that i already have (which seems to have a pretty bad reputation),
> or should i replace it with this Vivitar Series 1 (which i gather has a good
> reputation).  I'll have to REALLY justify it to the wife, so i need a clear
> cut decision!  Help me out here!

I don't have any experience with the Zuiko/Cosina 70-210/4.5-5.6 but other's
opinions have been rather neutral to negative. Seems like the 'true' Zuiko
zooms are more highly regarded... But you won't get a 65-200/4.0 for US$65.

> Sean D.

I suspect you may be able to offload the Zuiko/Cosina on e*ay for about what
the Vivitar Series 1 lens will cost you, maybe a little more... so its a
painless swap from that perspective. Perhaps a promise to sell it for no
less than $65 will ease the way to approval.
--

Jim Brokaw