[OM] Re: Carrying Zooms

Subject: [OM] Re: Carrying Zooms
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:30:43 -0600
> I've got the 35-105, and it's a nice lens. However....

> ...it takes almost as much space as the 24/2+85/2 combo, which I really
> prefer.

> snip...

> In fact, I find that not having a grand selection of focal lengths
> available makes me more aware of what photos I take...

> snip...

> And personally, I actually find that forcing me to "think rather than just
> zoom" makes me take better photos.

> snip...
Thomas Heide Clausen

Well put.  I follow this philosophy too.  I tend to move into position for
a shot before even looking through the camera, since I'm familiar with the
angle of view of my favorite lenses.  I just don't like zooms (they're sort
of indecisive lenses-they don't know what length they want to be ;-] and
are either huge or slow).

Aren't preferences fascinating?  I carry a 21mm in my kit, but hardly ever
take a personal picture with anything wider than a 50mm; and my favorite
length is 100mm.  I must use zooms at work because of the events I cover,
but they're the huge, fast, heavy kind; that might be another reason I
avoid them on my own time. Even our lab's smallest Canon body dwarfs my OMs
too.

Alan Magayne-Roshak