Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:39:46 +0000
Henry Bottjer-BA wrote:

> Anyway, in looking at the pictures linked to below, I would say
>
> 1.  Yes, this is a landscape
> 2.  Close.  I could probably go either way
> 3.  Nope.  This is a picture of the bridge, and clearly the main element
> 4.  This one with the stone wall I think is a landscape photo
> 5.  The people in the park with the fountain - nope, not a landscape.

Interesting.  Just goes to show that one person's clear categories are
another's grey areas.

Tris Schuler wrote

> You're entitled to your opinion as to what constitutes this or that when it
> comes to categorizing these things, but as with all artistic endeavor I
> believe you'd be further ahead in the long run if you opened up your mind
> to all of the  possibilities. Rules might clarify but they just as often
> inhibit.

I completely agree with your sentiments.  Classifications and genres are
superfluous.  I think I've got an open mind anyway: I just take photos
of things I like the look of, without heed to what pigeonhole they'll
fit in.  It just happens that most of my work is what I would call
landscapes.  Same when I look at other people's work - I never even
consider what heading they'd come under.

OT bit: proof to me that classifying things is harmful - the habit of
record shops of putting every bit of music that originates from the 80%
of the world's population that is not 'western' under the heading
'World'.  Talk about cultural insularity!!

Cheers,
Roger