Re: [OM] "Studio" setup / Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] "Studio" setup / Flash
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:08:21 -0700
At 06:51 PM 25/03/2002 +0100, Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:
>Skip,
>
>I've never seen shoes like those you describe in my neck of the woods -
>despite having looked. I've have had to make do with some homebrewed
>solution, which I am constantly trying to refine / make better. Any idea
>if they are available in an on-line store etc (do they have a brand name
>that would make them easier to search for)? Or could you provide a
>close-up photo (for inspiration to my own experiments) of the
>shoe/adaptor?

Thomas:

The ones I'm familiar with are the "Kaiser" brand, made in Germany, I believe.
They're known in English as a "Shoe Adapter" (in German, "Schuhadapter") with a
retail item number of 5573.  They're available at B&H Photo Online, although
B&H's Website catalogue claims they're out of stock at the moment.  They screw
into an adapter rod (Manfrotto part #026) which itself has a clamp hole for the
umbrella's pole and another screw-mount in the base to mate to a tripod or
lightstand, and various levers and knobs to change things around, as per the
Manfrotto usual.  I also use Manfrotto lightstands.

You can also get a Kaiser "Flash-Mount Umbrella Bracket" which combines the
functions of the shoe adapter and the adapter rod, although it's not as tough
and more "fiddly."  Its manufacturer's part number is 201526, and of course,
it's more expensive than the shoe adapter, although less than the combo of the
adapter and the Manfrotto 026.  All these things are available at B&H Photo's
website at http://www.bhphoto.com.

Other companies make similar products -- I mention the Kaiser only because it's
what's available from my local pro shop.

Garth