Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes (or how not to use the 21/3.5)

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes (or how not to use the 21/3.5)
From: "M. Lloyd" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:14:37 -0800 (PST)
I was thinking of entering a photo of snowfall up here
in Rochester, which is also my first test of the 21mm
I got a short while ago. Scratch that right off. I'm
afraid to say the pics I took were simply awful. Even
at 1/1000 speed and f16 on the OM-1n the snow was
bright enough to induce an incredibly huge amount of
glare. No contrast, no features. The pics were so
overexposed even the huge latitude of Portra 160
couldn't save them. And the scenes were so pretty to
the eye and through the lens when I took them. A nice
park filled with snow covered evergreens. What I got
back was an expanse of white with a buncha black green
featureless blobs.
I also tried some twilight shots.... those dind't come
out very well either. For one thing I tried taking
them handheld thinking I could hold the camera steady
for 1 second (mistake number one). Then I Overexposed
again. Instead of the nice deep blue black of near
night I get a glowy icky washed out powder blue with
nasty orange highlights from the setting sun.(mistake
number 2). Thirdly in almost all of my photos I seemed
to forget the enormous wideness of the 21mm. All of my
photos are IMHO crappily composed. I included power
lines, bits of my car, bits of other cars, people
looking out of place etc. I have the feeling that this
lens is going to be a most incredible challenge to
master. The only acceptable shots I got were closeups
of trees and that's kind of pathetic.
Oh well live and learn. Prolly gonna be no landscape
from me since without the snow I'm not much better
than you guys in Michigan (Rochester's skyline is
pretty boring but maybe if the sun would come out for
1/4 of a second...)

Mark Lloyd