[OM] Re: Isle of Man TT

Subject: [OM] Re: Isle of Man TT
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:44:43 -0800

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:12:19 -0600
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Alan's trips to Britain

I must say right away that having Olympus equipment helped make my bike
trip practicable.  I didn't have the space to take the same items from some
other maker; the OM  stuff is so compact that I could carry all that I did,
as well as my personal gear for a two week adventure.
<snip>

As for selling the pictures, my friend and I (both pro photogs) helped two
of our college mates start a local photo agency, so they marketed our
shots.  We had press passes to the TT races from a cycle publication and a
request from a railroad magazine for pictures of the Isle of Man trains (It
was the 100th anniv. of the system).  My friend Dave (also an OM shooter)
and I both sold photos to each magazine.  The favorite shot I got is of
Joey Dunlop at Governor's Bridge on the last corner of the last lap of the
Lightweight TT just before he broke Mike Hailwood's record of TT wins.  I
felt blessed to have been there at that magical place.

Alan M-R

Incredible. You are very fortunate to have been in that magical place and at that magical time! Joey was one of the greats, and a wonderful human being, too. His death was tragic. I would have love to have had the experience you describe. I did see Nigel Mansell win his first ever Grand Prix, and Alain Prost win his first ever world championship at the European Grand Prix in 1985. If you're photo is available somewhere, I'd love to see it.

-Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!