Re:[OM] 300/4.5 and 65-116 auto tube: Anyone ever used this combo?

Subject: Re:[OM] 300/4.5 and 65-116 auto tube: Anyone ever used this combo?
From: "Dean C. Hansen" <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:57:30 -0600
    Mark Lloyd recently asked:
"I'm thinking of trying out a radical combination here, a 300/4.5 and
the 65-116 auto extension tube to try to get some longer range macro
shots."........

    Mark, I don't have the 300/4.5, but I have used a Tamron 60-300mm
zoom lens on my OM4T with the 65-116 telescopic auto extension tube
successfully to photograph butterflies.  I found that I was usually in
the 130-200mm focal length range, however. I also added two T32's on a
Lepp II twin macro flash bracket--this let me shoot at f11. Finally, I
also used a monopod with this combination.
    Butterfly photography gets pretty iffy in Minnesota for several
months, and I'm looking forward to getting out in a few weeks to
photograph the handfull of butterflies (commas, mourning cloaks,
tortoise shells, question marks) that hibernate here as adults and are
seen in early April (or March, if it's warm enough). Elfins will follow
in late April.
    Mark should find his lens/auto tube combination  quite "doable,"
except for the probable need for additional light.