Re: [OM] Another belated introduction

Subject: Re: [OM] Another belated introduction
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:05:56 -0500
At 20:22 3/20/02, Sean Davis wrote:
if i can toss in a question, seeing that i've just replaced my T-32, i'm wondering what other options are out there for OM-dedicated flash equipment - off-brand stuff. i understand that some Metz flashes and perhaps other brands make Olympus-compatible equipment. can someone elaborate on this for me?

Sean,

Among the Metz:

The closest thing to a T-32 among the Metz is the 32Z-2 (also 32MZ-3) with an SCA-321 module. The T-32 is rated with a GN of 32 (ISO 100; meters) with an angle of coverage matching that of a 24mm lens. The 32Z-2 is rated at this GN to the coverage of a 35mm lens. This Metz has a built-in zoom reflector that goes from 28mm to 85mm. It also swivels in addition to the tilt.

The big brother to the 32Z-2 and 32MZ-3 is the 40MZ-2 and 40MZ-3i; also uses the SCA-321 for the OM system. This is a flash Olympus should have made an equivalent of in its stunted evolution of the "T" series. It's more powerful, and has greater flexibility in selecting desired aperture in "Normal Auto." Has an LCD panel on the back instead of LED's.

The G-15 or G-16 grip is the Metz equivalent of the BG-2; turns either of the two units above into a potato masher powered by 4 "C" cells. Use the SCA-321 on the end of an SCA-300A cord for the equivalent of a T-Series TTL Shoe Cord for TTL control. Has a trigger switch on the grip that can be used as an electronic shutter release with a winder or motor drive, just as the one on the BG2 can.

Equivalent to the T-45 potato masher is the 45CL-4. Also uses the SCA-321 on the end of an SCA-300A cord for TTL control.

Big brother to the 45CL-4 is the more powerful 60CT-4; yet another example of where Olympus could/should have gone with its potato masher.

Equivalent to the F280 *without* the Super FP feature is the 54MZ-3. Metz never made a module to link the two additional contacts on the OM-3ti and OM-4T hot shoe to its flashes. However, unlike the F280, this Metz has tilt and swivel, and is slightly more powerful.

No . . . I'm not a Metz dealer, employee or "fanatic supporter." Metz makes quality flash units and I did a lot of research into the Metz units before buying a 40MZ-3i and a G-16 grip for it a few months ago. Also have a pair of T-32's, a T-20 and a BG2. Nope, not selling (or giving away) any of the T-series stuff; they work too well with my gear.

-- John