RE: [OM] Introduction / Survey / E-20N question

Subject: RE: [OM] Introduction / Survey / E-20N question
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:06:24 -0800
In a message dated 3/19/2002 Paul Kraig writes:

<< I have a lead on an E-20n for $700.00 new in sealed box with warranty
and 3 week return policy.  The seller is overseas and accepts
Visa/Master Card. I am not sure if he is a dealer or an individual as I
am only in the preliminary stages of communication (through an business
associate based there). >>

Welcome to the list Paul!

I would tend to think a $700.00 E-20 from an overseas source is a huge
gamble. The Camedia software is nothing to write home about so I
wouldn't loose sleep over the CD not being there. You'll want the lens
hood for sure, though, and I bet it isn't cheap, even though it is
plastic.

You should be aware it is highly likely that this E-20 is a PAL version
for video output. If you never plan to playback through a TV set this
won't be an issue (I find this feature kind of fun and even useful on my
E-10 when out of town without a laptop though). The other worry is
potential lack of support from Olympus USA if it ever needs service or
upgrades, perhaps John H. can comment on this further?

E-10/20 cameras are supposedly very expensive to have repaired by
Olympus out of warranty. You'll be out of US warranty from the get go.
If it were me, I would tend to look for a bargain on a US spec E-10
instead. Wouldn't be that much more $ for a lot more peace of mind.
Personally, I'll give up that extra megapixel for the faster buffer dump
time the E-10 has for now anyway. 11x14 enlargements I'm getting from my
lab off E-10 files rival those I get from the same lab off Provia F
slides shot with my OM gear. Don't let the latest Marketing rage of
"pixel wars" sway you. Canon D-30s do a fine job with less pixels than
even an E-10. Buy the tool for the job at hand, master it, and enjoy it
:)

Still licking my wounds for not being jumping on a mint used TCON-300
from Cameta fast enough today for only $299.00. I was the third person
to call on it after last night's "new arrivals" e-mail from them. Oh
well, my $159.00 TCON-14b is on the way from them now anyway... Better
luck next time.

Speaking of Cameta's "new arrivals" e-mail, I noticed a Zuiko 2XA
converter for $109.00 in there (no affiliation, and I already have one).

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com